I love massages. If time and scheduling allowed, I would get a massage every week. But time and scheduling never seem to allow, so massages in my life are few and far between.
Over the weekend, I finally had the opportunity to book a 60 minute massage. Because I always want to enjoy every minute of these rare opportunities, I try to make sure I do everything I need to do before and during a massage in order to optimize my overall relaxation experience. So here are my...
Top 10 Things NOT to Do When Getting a Massage
10) Don't worry about the fact that you haven't shaved your legs in a week. I'm sure the massage therapist has seen worse.
9) Don't encourage talking. Well, YOU can if you want to. But the introvert in me wants to use those 60 minutes to be completely and utterly self-absorbed. I'm not paying for chit chat.
8) Don't think about all the things you SHOULD be doing instead of lying on a table being self-absorbed.
7) Don't drink too many liquids right before your appointment time. Otherwise you might have to choose between interrupting your zen moment for a potty break or spending your massage trying not to think about your full bladder.
6) Don't be afraid to ask for what you want (or for what you don't want). During one memorable massage, my massage therapist was actually hurting me instead of helping me relax. I was too timid to ask her to lighten up on the pressure, and I ended up walking away wishing I had saved my money. (But I was in Thailand at the time so I'm pretty sure my massage therapist wouldn't have understood my request even if I had spoken up.)
5) Don't get a side-by-side massage with your husband while he's listening to his iPod. Not very relaxing hearing Guns N Roses blaring through your spouse's headphones. (This massage was in Japan. Yet another strange Asian massage.)
4) Don't spend the whole massage trying to turn your empty thoughts into a blog post.
3) Don't think about all the the stressors that led you to need a massage to begin with. The biggest massage buzz kill? Thoughts about work, cranky kids, money, the car that isn't starting, the house that needs cleaning, etc. Give your mind a break.
2) Don't fall asleep! The other day, when my massage therapist whispered, "We're all done," I was so disappointed that I had fallen asleep and missed the massage on the entire right side of my body. Plus, I'm pretty sure I was drooling.
1) Don't forget the reason you're there...to relax! So relax. Sounds simple, but sometimes I need that verbal reminder that it's ok to let the rest of the world disappear for an hour.
What's your best massage advice? Do you have a funny or embarrassing massage experience?