Well, I guess it had to happen sooner or later. I had to call in sick to work today. Not because I'm sick (yet), but because Big C is sick. And I wouldn't even go so far as to say he's sick. He had a fever last night, and he's spending his day on the cusp of one. I'm sure his teacher would appreciate that I didn't send him to school with that hacking cough and runny nose, but here I am at home with a little boy who is apparently well enough to fight with his sister.
Since I'm home, I might as well make the most of this day off from work. Here are my...
Top 10 Ways to Be Productive on a Sick Day
10) Clean rooms. If the kids are well enough to make the mess, they're well enough to clean it up.
9) Cook. My packed lunches have become so pathetic I'm resorting to those nasty sodium-saturated frozen meals. Today is the perfect day to throw together a pasta salad, zucchini bread, and whatever else I can dig up and throw together to make a week's worth of lunches I can look forward to.
8) Laundry. It's really sad when your husband tells you he's out of clean underwear. My washing machine is working overtime today.
7) Catch up on blog reading. Oh how I miss reading blogs!
6) Clean out my car. How in the world did the backseat of my car accumulate so many toys, books, trash, and goldfish?
5) Call up my surrogate spouse who has been neglected thanks to the double whammy of Mr. Roller Coaster returning from deployment and my new job. We're long overdue for a chat.
4) Clear out my inbox. I don't think I've ever seen so many unread emails.
3) Write. My blog looks so lonely with only 2 or 3 posts a week. Must write more.
2) Hang out with my kids. There aren't many days that we just hang out and read books, create Lego castles, and color masterpieces.
1) RELAX! I've been so worn out lately, but today is the perfect day to relax. I'm cooped up in the house. I can't run errands. I can't go to the gym. I might as well take advantage of this day to actually pick up a magazine, park myself in the recliner, and remind myself what it's like to not do anything.
What do you do on days when you can't leave the house?